Although many aspects of life in Nepal are very new for Chris, there are plenty of things here that, to me, feel familiar. My time in Peru and Honduras is now six years behind me, but even so, Kathmandu brings back many memories of my time in those two countries. This city is bigger than Huancayo, Peru and Ojojona, Honduras, but the overcrowded microbuses, stray dogs, weird smells in the streets, bugs in the bathroom, terrifying taxi rides, and roosters waking me up at 5am are much the same. It seems that all these things, though often shocking at first (at least for Americans), can become fairly normal once you spend enough time getting used to them.
However, Nepal also has qualities that I have never experienced before. For example, I've never been so hot in my life! I've dealt with pretty severe heat and humidity (i.e.:Taiwan), but since I left the airport a few days ago, I haven't been in a single building or vehicle with air conditioning, meaning that there's no respite from the heat. It's hot when you walk around the city, when you ride taxis, when you eat at a restaurant, and when you sleep. This is a challenge I definitely underestimated. Besides the constant discomfort, being hot makes everything harder. Walking around is more tiring, staying awake while praying takes more effort, AND I have to drink a lot more water which makes me have to pee all the time, which wouldn't be a huge deal except that finding a decent bathroom is always a struggle (sorry if that's t.mi.)!
Another new experience for me is monsoon, which is perhaps the one break in the heat, at least for this time of year. I've been to countries with rainy seasons, but never during their peaks. Right now, monsoon is going strong in Nepal, and yesterday I got to experience it firsthand. It rained...well poured actually...from about 9am to 3pm, nonstop. My Northface rain jacket was not as effective as I'd hoped, and I got soaked as we tromped around through muddy, puddle covered streets which often have no sidewalks. But like the heat, the rain is something that the people here just learn to live with.
Another new experience for me is monsoon, which is perhaps the one break in the heat, at least for this time of year. I've been to countries with rainy seasons, but never during their peaks. Right now, monsoon is going strong in Nepal, and yesterday I got to experience it firsthand. It rained...well poured actually...from about 9am to 3pm, nonstop. My Northface rain jacket was not as effective as I'd hoped, and I got soaked as we tromped around through muddy, puddle covered streets which often have no sidewalks. But like the heat, the rain is something that the people here just learn to live with.
A third major difference is that Nepal is not a Christian country. Stepping off the plane, I was greeted by a large statue with a sign welcoming me to the land of Buddha as well as a Hindu idol. Walking around the city streets, there is a frequent tinkling sound which occurs whenever people make offerings to their idols, and temples are everywhere. This adds a whole new element to Christianity and missions here. Many of the Nepali brothers and sisters we've met have been rejected by their families for choosing to follow Jesus, a cost that I cannot even imagine. The other day, a local pastor shared that not a single family member came to his wedding last year because they did not support his decision to follow Jesus and marry a Christian woman! Of course, I've heard stories of these types of things, but it's very different to meet people who have actually experienced such rejection.
Despite noting similarities and differences, I did not come here intending to compare Nepal to other countries I have been to. But I think that as God continues to shape my view on ministry, it is helpful to consider my past experiences serving abroad as well as the present one. I'm starting to see lifestyle patterns, both frustrations and endearing quirks, that seem to occur in many developing countries (i.e.: not flushing your toilet paper, unreliable electricity/internet, and buildings painted with bright colors), yet I'm also finding that many of my perspectives are different now that I'm six years more mature in the Lord. To sum it all up, I guess I'm just thankful for the foundation that God built in my heart that year after high school as well as for how that trip prepared me for this one. And at the same time, I'm excited to see what new things I will experience and learn as God builds upon that foundation during in this time in Nepal. How blessed I am to have a perfect Shepherd directing my path!
Josy <><
No comments:
Post a Comment