Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Snapshots

There is so much being processed in my mind right now that writing a blog post has felt too daunting.  So I decided to post some snapshots of the last week or so. I may write more about some of these topics later.

1. Ministry Mamas

For the last three weeks, I have trekked, prayed, listened to teachings, and done evangelism with a team of 7-10 other believers.  But there has been one main distinction between me and my teammates. I'm the only girl!  And throughout this trip I've begun to see why.  It's because these guys (at least the married ones) have such awesome wives!  At first, from my ignorant perspective, I wondered why the women almost seemed disengaged from the ministry.  They don't come to the prayer room or Nepali church or on the ministry trips.  But I soon realized it's not because trekking is too physically demanding or because their husbands are more passionate than they are.  It's because raising kids in a third world country is a full time job, and it's HARD. I'm so impressed by these women who find ways to entertain and love on their kids in a world where (at least as far as I know) playgrounds, dance classes, tee ball, public pools, and events at the local library are not options.  I honestly have no idea how they do it!  A lot of it must just be trusting the Lord because so much of what we count on to keep kids safe in the U.S. is simply not present.  For example, these women can't buckle their kids into nice car seats in their minivan and head to a grocery store full of FDA approved items.  Instead, they have to pack them into a taxi, which likely has no seat belts and a reckless driver, and head to some form of grocery store where they hope all the food they buy will be safe and relatively healthy.  Yet despite all these challenges, their kids are happy, smart, grateful, and have amazing Bible knowledge.  I am constantly awed by their comments, my favorites being, "Superman isn't real, Daddy, but Jesus is, and he's really coming back (2 or 3 year old)," and, "We cried when our friends moved away, but we will see them again in the New Jerusalem (8 year old)."  So shout out to the three amazing mamas I've met in Nepal!  And of course to their husbands who are amazing fathers too!  

2. But I NEED It

Last week, our team had the opportunity to eat lunch at our Nepali trekking guide's house.  It was really eye opening for me to see a home lacking so many items that I would consider to be necessities.  We spent all our time in the living room/bedroom/guest room/nursery.  This room had cement walls and floors with some simple rugs and a few unframed pictures for decoration.  The bed was basically a piece of wood with blankets on it, and the couch/guest bed was the same.  A clothesline hung above the "couch," and a plastic cabinet sat in the corner by an old, out of tune guitar.  But what really baffled me was the one month old baby wrapped in a few blankets and sleeping on the bed with no crib, high chair, changing table, stroller, or wardrobe full of baby clothes in sight. It was interesting to realize that none of these items are actually necessary to adequately care for an infant.  Their baby seems perfectly content with nothing but loving parents and a soft blanket.  So why do we Americans "need" so much STUFF? 

3. Hinduism 101

Before we left for India, our team met with a local pastor to learn more about Hinduism and Buddhism.  This pastor was a Hindu priest before he encountered Jesus, so he had a lot to share with us.  What stood out the most was his explanation of the four primary ways Hindus believe in achieving salvation: karma, knowledge, devotion (prayer, etc.), and yoga.  I was very disturbed to learn about the origins of yoga and how "oum" (the sound I picture people making with their legs crossed and eyes closed while they meditate) is a way of making vibrations to connect with the three main Hindu gods, Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva (the destroyer).  Moral of the story? No yoga for me!  

4.  Poverty Round 4

I've seen people living in poverty.  Over the past six years, especially during my trips to Central/South America, I've served them, befriended them, and loved many of them... But I've also forgotten them.  I remember coming back from Peru disgusted with American luxury and promising myself I'd never forget the heart breaking sights, sounds, and smells of poverty.  But I did!!  And I was not reminded of such things until riding a taxi and then a bus from Dehli, India to Manali.  Look out the window, I saw areas where people basically live under plastic tarps with heaps of trash all around.  Down the street, a three or four year old girl lay curled up in a ball on the sidewalk, seemingly all alone.  By the bus stop, a teenage girl attempted to collect rupees as her young brother twirled a hula hoop and did back bends in the street.  I am ashamed at how easily I forgot such people when they were out of sight.  I want to care more, pray more, love more, and help more.  Even talking to our Nepali brothers, I realize that I (when compared to the masses around the world) am rich.  For them, having a car is an impossible expense and Chris and I have TWO!  I am so thankful for all that I have, but I pray for the Lord's grace, for "it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven." (Mat 19:23)

5. Jews on Drugs

I've recently been learning a lot about God's plan for Israel and how it is such an important part of the gospel.  I once heard a guy share that Israel is the name used most in the Bible, (even more than Jesus), so clearly, this nation is important to the Lord, and not just prior to Jesus' death and resurrection (If you don't believe me, start with Romans 11). At the heart of what I've learned are God's covenants with the nation of Israel, most (if not all) of which have not yet been fulfilled.  And they will not be fulfilled until Israel turns back to the Lord and worships their Messiah.  I used to wonder what it meant that the Jewish people have "broken their covenant" with God (see Deut 5:27 where they promise to obey all that God tells Moses).  From my perspective, it seemed like many Jews today are doing their best to keep the Law and seek the Lord. 

But then I came to Manali.  I think it's the strangest town I've ever been to.  It's a tiny village (basically just two streets) in India that's sort of in the middle of nowhere.  Yet for some reason, swarms of Israelis come here.  I'd guess that 3/4 of the tourists here are Israeli, most of whom have just finished their mandatory military service and are taking a few months or years to relax and travel.  Not so bad, right? 

Wrong!  These people that God has chosen and desperately loves are here in Manali doing little besides smoking, drinking, and doing drugs.  It's truly heartbreaking.  Though God has preserved their people through generations of persecution and hatred, they see no need for Him and instead seek to find peace in the religions of the area and in their own selves.  Here in Manali, it's easy to see how the Jewish people truly have forsaken their promise to heed the words God gave Moses on Mount Sinai.  I'm saddened to see such depravity, but I'm also somehow thankful.  Because "through their fall, to provoke them to jealousy, salvation has come to" me, a Gentile (Romans 11:11). And in this gratefulness, I will keep witnessing to and praying for these lost sheep of Israel because the Lord has chosen them and because when this nation finally turns to Jesus, "what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?" Romans 11:15).

Check out pictures on my Facebook! The wifi is too slow to upload them on here today.

Josy <><

No comments:

Post a Comment