One exciting thing about living in this region is visiting sites of Biblical importance, both past and future. This month, I have gotten to walk paths trodden by both Moses and John the Baptist, men called “the most humble man on earth” and “the greatest born of a woman,” respectively (Num 12:3 and Mat 11:11). What a privilege!
A
few weeks ago, we visited the site where Moses saw the Promised Land from a distance
before he died (see Deut 34). As I
looked out over the sandy hills and the hazy, tan blur across the river, many
questions filled my mind. First, I
imagined how Moses must have felt, seeing the land laden with so many promises
just across the river. Was he
heartbroken knowing that he would never set foot there himself? Or was he simply thankful to see it from a
distance? Second, though it’s perhaps
slightly morose, I wondered if Moses’ remains lay somewhere on that mountain,
hidden by the hand of the Lord who buried him (see Deut 34:6). And lastly I wondered WHY. Why did God choose this land, this region, to
be so central to His plan for humanity, salvation, and restoration? Although the brown hills do have a certain
beauty, many other parts of the world seem so much more appealing. There are lush, green forests and snowy
mountains with glacier lakes and bright green rolling hills and silky smooth
beaches. Of all places, why did God
choose the DESERT? Part of me thinks
that if I was Moses, I’d have been disappointed. Does/did/will that land across the river
really “flow with milk and honey?” Or
was it the lack of natural glory that caused God to select this land for His
chosen people?
As we visit these Biblical sites, it’s not just the questions about the past that are raised. I’m also awed by the fact that we are living in a region so full of Biblical prophesies yet to be fulfilled. Promises of both judgement and hope related to this land are all over Isaiah, Ezekiel, and many other books of the Bible. It’s both exciting and sobering to learn about the things that God will do here. I hope to be ready when these things happen and to know that I have equipped the people of this region as much as possible, that they too may be ready. In these next few months, I hope to learn more about what God is doing/planning to do in this region. I want to be in line with His heart and to have wisdom to understand the passages written hundreds of years ago about the land and people right outside my apartment window.
No comments:
Post a Comment